The Evangelical Free Church of America is an association of autonomous churches united around these theological convictions:
1. We believe in one God, Creator of all things, holy, infinitely perfect, and eternally existing in a loving unity of three equally divine Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Having limitless knowledge and sovereign power, God has graciously purposed from eternity to redeem a people for Himself and to make all things new for His own glory.
2. We believe that God has spoken in the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, through the words of human authors. As the verbally inspired Word of God, the Bible is without error in the original writings, the complete revelation of His will for salvation, and the ultimate authority by which every realm of human knowledge and endeavor should be judged. Therefore, it is to be believed in all that it teaches, obeyed in all that it requires, and trusted in all that it promises.
The Human Condition
3. We believe that God created Adam and Eve in His image, but they sinned when tempted by Satan. In union with Adam, human beings are sinners by nature and by choice, alienated from God, and under His wrath. Only through God’s saving work in Jesus Christ can we be rescued, reconciled and renewed.
4. We believe that Jesus Christ is God incarnate, fully God and fully man, one Person in two natures. Jesus—Israel’s promised Messiah—was conceived through the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He lived a sinless life, was crucified under Pontius Pilate, arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father as our High Priest and Advocate.
The Work of Christ
5. We believe that Jesus Christ, as our representative and substitute, shed His blood on the cross as the perfect, all-sufficient sacrifice for our sins. His atoning death and victorious resurrection constitute the only ground for salvation.
The Holy Spirit
6. We believe that the Holy Spirit, in all that He does, glorifies the Lord Jesus Christ. He convicts the world of its guilt. He regenerates sinners, and in Him they are baptized into union with Christ and adopted as heirs in the family of God. He also indwells, illuminates, guides, equips and empowers believers for Christ-like living and service.
7. We believe that the true church comprises all who have been justified by God’s grace through faith alone in Christ alone. They are united by the Holy Spirit in the body of Christ, of which He is the Head. The true church is manifest in local churches, whose membership should be composed only of believers. The Lord Jesus mandated two ordinances, baptism and the Lord’s Supper, which visibly and tangibly express the gospel. Though they are not the means of salvation, when celebrated by the church in genuine faith, these ordinances confirm and nourish the believer.
8. We believe that God’s justifying grace must not be separated from His sanctifying power and purpose. God commands us to love Him supremely and others sacrificially, and to live out our faith with care for one another, compassion toward the poor and justice for the oppressed. With God’s Word, the Spirit’s power, and fervent prayer in Christ’s name, we are to combat the spiritual forces of evil. In obedience to Christ’s commission, we are to make disciples among all people, always bearing witness to the gospel in word and deed.
9. We believe in the personal, bodily and premillennial return of our Lord Jesus Christ. The coming of Christ, at a time known only to God, demands constant expectancy and, as our blessed hope, motivates the believer to godly living, sacrificial service and energetic mission.
Response and Eternal Destiny
10. We believe that God commands everyone everywhere to believe the gospel by turning to Him in repentance and receiving the Lord Jesus Christ. We believe that God will raise the dead bodily and judge the world, assigning the unbeliever to condemnation and eternal conscious punishment and the believer to eternal blessedness and joy with the Lord in the new heaven and the new earth, to the praise of His glorious grace. Amen.
In addition to our statement of faith, we believe it is necessary to clarify and uphold certain distinctives that mark out our church as uniquely committed to what we understand the New Testament to teach regarding the church’s doctrine and practice.
Expository Preaching and Teaching…that exposes the intended meaning of the Biblical text as written by the authors of Scripture and presented in a relevant and practical way, resulting in changed lives.
Repentant Faith…that clarifies the true Gospel which requires faith in the Person and Work of Christ and repentance towards God resulting in justification by faith, the forgiveness of sins.
The Doctrines of Grace…that embrace with firm conviction the eternally sovereign purposes of God in the work of Christ, applied to the helpless sinner in salvation, resulting in the praise of His glory.
God-centered Worship…that extolls the worth of God as a redeemed people in a volitional, intellectual, and emotional response to His Person as expressed in the work of Christ’s atonement and revealed in the Word of God.
Believer’s Baptism…as a Christ-ordained symbol of one’s union with Christ and His Church through conversion, therefore, it is a step of obedience reserved for those who profess faith in Jesus Christ (Matt. 28:19; Rom. 6:4)
Biblical Counseling…using all the all-sufficient Scriptures as the only resource for living godly in the face of life’s problems, resulting in obedience and righteous interpersonal relationships.
Plurality of Eldership…leading the local church by the God-given authority and wisdom of Biblically qualified men united under the Lordship of the Chief Shepherd, Jesus Christ, resulting in edification as a church.
Authentic Community…living out Biblical Christianity in the context of life with other believers in a genuine way, vitally connected to one another in the local church through fellowship, accountability, prayer, discipleship, serving and using spiritual gifts, resulting in spiritual friendships that stimulate Christlikeness.
Church Discipline…purifying the church from unrepentant patterns of sin in the lives of people through a process of restoration as outlined in the Scriptures, in an effort to enforce accountability to the standard of God’s holiness, resulting in a chaste Bride with a vibrant witness.
Statement on Marriage…God has designed marriage and defined it in His Word as the covenant relationship between a man, a woman, and Himself (Gen. 1:27; 2:24; Matt. 19:4-6). For this reason, Highland Park Church will only recognize marriages between a biological man and a biological woman. Click here for a complete“Meaning and Requirements for Marriage”at Highland Park.